Sunday, October 4, 2009

Danish vitumbua - Danish aebleskiver

 
Posted by Picasa


This post is in appreciation to the anonymous reader who commented on the vitumbua pans. Thank you for posting on aebleskiver pan, I can now put my pan to more use.I visited the website which also has recipes and decided to try cooking the danish vitumbua using my pan following the video's instructions. And I really enjoyed making and eating them. The recipe was easy to follow and cook quickly. Spent around 30-45 minutes maximum. I made half of the recipe added vanilla and cardamom and I ended regretting doing so...the plate was emptied so quickly!!! The aebleskiver were scrumptious ate mine with warm apricot preserve. The aebleskiver were soft, imagine eating a delicious pancake or crepe but in a ball shape. Perfect finger food. Delicious!!!

This is half of the original recipe. It makes approximately 28 aebliskiver using my small holed pan.
Basic ingredients:
2 eggs
1 cup of milk
1 ½ cup of self raising flour

My additions:
1-2 teaspoons of vanilla
1 teaspoon of cardamom
2 tablespoons of sugar

Procedure I still advice you watch the video.
1.In a medium bowl beat the eggs and milk. Add the vanilla, cardamom, sugar add the flour to a slightly heavy pancake- crepe like consistency. Let rest for 15-20 minutes. For simplicity pour the mixture in a small jug.
2.Heat your aeblisker pan or vitumbua pan.
3.Put ½ teaspoon of oil in each hole then pour some of the mixture in the holes. Make sure it doesnt over fill.
4. This is the tricky part: After a few minutes using a wooden skewer lift up the top of each aebliskiver, and turn approximately 1/3 rd on it's self(looks like a hood).Then after a minute using the skewer lift from one side try to turn to the other side. This allows the batter to expand. Then after 1 minutes holding the top, lift the aebliskiver and turn it over; this allows the ball shape to form. Keep rotating the ball till it's fried and becomes golden brown.
Once ready remove from heat and repeat until all the mixture finishes.

Serve with jam. (As I added sugar to mine you can have them without adding anything).

Cheers to the danes!!! Mange Tak!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you got to my website and learned more about "aebleskiver". If you sign up for my newsletter, you will get the story about how it all started and what is coming in the future. Just go to www.aebleskiver.com and fill in the email address and submit. You will then get a weekly letter with news.
    Arne

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
Good eatings by http://goodeatingscunadiiwacnayd.blogspot.com/ is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.